The brick building with clock tower, centre image, is the Keelmans' Hospital on City Road, Newcastle and was built in 1701 for poor keelmen and keelmen's widows. It was paid for by the keelmen. Until fairly recently it was used for student accommodation, but is now empty. Behind is newer student accomodation in Garth Heads. The roofless building is the remains of the historic Newcastle public house, known variously as the Barley Mow, Frog & Firkin and Stereo, much changed in it's time, now fire-damaged, forlorn and written-off - and written all over. The 1970s monolith on the right is the Hadrian Trunk Switching Centre in Melbourne Street with even more new-build student accommodation beyond. In the foreground is the bland, modern office 'vernacular' of the Quayside - always wanted to use that word in a caption!